Saturday, January 26, 2013

Like a kid in a candy store ...



You know that moment when you remember something you've forgotten? When it's something good the feeling can't be beat. I've been an avid reader for close to 28 years. My parents and my grandma instilled a love for books in me at a very early age. In fact when I was little my grandma blindly made the pact that she would NEVER refuse to buy me a book. And she didn't. Every Thursday my mom would take her on the 'old lady' circuit. Hairdresser - grocery store - home. And every Thursday that I was available I went along. Before she left the car, my grandma would hand me her credit card and tell me to get whatever I wanted. We would then hit the mall and I would pick up anywhere from 5-10 books for me to devour before the next trip out.



BTW I own every one of these books

Thanks to the recent influx of books-turned-movies, (City of Bones, Beautiful Creatures, Warm Bodies, The Hobbit, etc.)I've been scouring my library for copies of the books I want to read before I (conceivably) see the movies. It was during a recent search that I came across a familiar name that brought back so many memories ... Caroline B. Cooney.

I had flashbacks. I swear I did. I fondly remember scouring the shelves of Little Professor Books for new novels by my favorite authors. Caroline B. Cooney, Christopher Pike, R.L. Stine, Francine Pascal, Ann M. Martin , L.J. Smith , Lois Duncan, Diane Hoh , Joan Lowery Nixon, and more. My top genre was horror which quickly branched into the realm of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Richard Laymon, Clive Barker and Bentley Little. It's amazing how seeing one name can make me remember how much I loved spending my afternoons browsing through a store looking for books.


Now I can't wait to revisit some of my favorites. Even though I know they won't have the same impact and will probably seem corny (hello "Vampire Diaries" I'm talking to you) I'm eager to read them over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment