Sunday, January 6, 2013

"Every Day" by David Levithan - YA Fiction

Started January 3, 2012 - Ended January 6, 2012


"Every Day" has been on my "to read" list since before it was even released. I came across it randomly on Facebook of all places. I promptly put my name on the wait list at the library, and a few weeks after its release I was notified my copy was in. I didn't read it. It sat, on my credenza for 2 weeks until I had to return it. A few months later, I requested it again. I still didn't read it. Just a few weeks ago I came across it once again in the 'recently returned' section of the Cuyahoga County Library's eBook collection. I finally sat myself down and immersed myself into the life of A.

From Amazon: A has no friends. No parents. No family. No possessions. No home, even. Because every day, A wakes up in the body of a different person. Every morning, a different bed. A different room. A different house. A different life. A is able to access each person's memory, enough to be able to get through the day without parents, friends, and teachers realizing this is not their child, not their friend, not their student. Because it isn't. It's A. Inhabiting each person's body. Seeing the world through their eyes. Thinking with their brain. Speaking with their voice.

It's a lonely existence--until, one day, it isn't. A meets a girl named Rhiannon. And, in an instant, A falls for her, after a perfect day together. But when night falls, it's over. Because A can never be the same person twice. But yet, A can't stop thinking about her. She becomes A's reason for existing. So each day, in different bodies--of all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, walks of life--A tries to get back to her. And convince her of their love. But can their love transcend such an obstacle?


I wanted to love this book. I did. But I didn't. I enjoyed it. But I didn't really feel a connection with the characters until the last few chapters (days?) of the book. The concept of the story is amazing! Each chapter is a different day in the life of A and the people he possesses. What would it be like to wake up in someone else's body every day? How would you form relationships? COULD you form relationships? I wanted more! More answers, more details. Apparently so did a lot of people. You can find a short sequel titled "Six Days Earlier" here. As well as a short story based on day #5909 here. So, have you read "Every Day"? I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have.

#2


No comments:

Post a Comment