Sunday, October 27, 2013

"A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness

I am the first to admit. It's been FOREVER. I fell into a funk and couldn't get out. The amount of books I started and didn't finish is staggering. BUT, hopefully I'm back and devouring fiction once again.



Started October 1, 2013 - Ended October 4, 2013



From Barnes & Noble:Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell.

Words cannot truly describe how much I love this book. This was my second time reading this novel, and it was even better than the first. Deborah Harkness provides the perfect blend of heart-racing fiction and deep rooted facts. Matthew and Diana, while a vampire and witch respectively, are no Edward and Bella.
My first reading of "Discovery" is an interesting story. I was rushing through the library, intent on picking up a few books and getting home to make dinner when the bright blue binding of a book caught my eye. I pulled it out, read the cover and threw it on top of my stack. At home, I made dinner and then settled in to pick what I was going to read first. "Discovery" went to the bottom of the pile. Fast forward and by the end of my read, I was literally reading a chapter and then walking away so the book wouldn't end. I promptly made a fistful of my friends read the book as well. We're all obsessed. So, that being said. I give "Discovery of Witches" an A+.






#55

No comments:

Post a Comment